40.7K Followers

Sri Lanka

Home » Asia » Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka is an island nation that abuts huge India. The country now has almost 22 million inhabitants. Of these, about 80% is Sinhalese and the remaining 20% ​​is Tamil. The capital is Sri Jayewardenapura Kotte. Kotte will suffice for the ordinary person among us. The country is for many a forgotten travel destination, a place that is usually missing from wish lists. Unjustified! Because on this island with its wonderful tropical climate you can lose yourself in nasty cities, on white sandy beaches or in wild nature.

Sri Lanka Cities

The capital is not the biggest attraction, but rather the pleasant city of Colombo on the west coast of Sri Lanka. This city is therefore more quickly seen as the capital than Kotte. The port city of Galle is also a very nice place for a stopover. The Dutch influences are omnipresent and date back to the time when Sri Lanka was dominated by the Dutch. Ruins and old towns quickly give you the feeling of being back in Dutch history. Other important cities are the holy city of Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Horana, Kalmunia and Jaffna.

Safety Sri Lanka

In the early eighties, Sri Lanka was still seen as a holiday paradise on earth, with tropical beaches, swaying palms, mysterious cities and a friendly population. Enough reason to enjoy a wonderful holiday. Ethnic conflicts between the Sinhalese and Tamils ​​have hit tourism hard. Tourism is an important economic pillar for Sri Lanka, so the government is doing everything it can to ensure the safety of its tourists. In general, you can travel well and safely in the country. However, it is wise to always consult the current travel advice from the Dutch government before departure.

National Parks of Sri Lanka

Sights enough! Holy cities dripping with Buddhism, beaches such as Negombo Beach or Unawatuna Beach and of course the mature Sri Lankan nature. Visit one of the many national parks and encounter a variety of wildlife and a very diverse flora and fauna. Recommended are Wilpattu National Park, Bundala National Park, Yala Ruhundu and Uda Walawe Park.

Backpacking Sri Lanka: the best tips!

Sri Lanka, an incredibly versatile country with beautiful nature, an interesting culture and above all many characteristic features. Do you want to backpack through Sri Lanka? Then I say go for it! Sri Lanka is very...

Translate »