TRAVEL NEWS – 10 June 2022: The US government has just issued a official press release announced that it will stop testing obligations for travelers visiting the country on June 12 (the day after tomorrow). From Sunday evening Dutch time it is no longer necessary to take a covid test before traveling to America.
Also read: Traveling to the United States? † These are the rules as of November 8th
Table of contents
The news in brief
The Biden administration will drop Covid-12 tests for inbound air travelers from abroad on Sunday, June 19, ending one of the longest-running travel restrictions of the pandemic.
- Travelers had to show proof of a negative test a day before flying to the US. This will expire.
- The travel industry had repeatedly urged the government administration to drop the test requirement.
- The change will take effect on Sunday at 12:01 a.m. ET (18:01 p.m. Dutch time).
Covid testing has long been mandatory in America
The rule was introduced by the Trump administration in early 2021. It was later tightened by the Biden administration. The tightening required incoming travelers, including US citizens, to show proof of a negative Covid test a day before boarding flights to the US. Travelers entering the US at land border crossings were all that time exempt.
America one of the last to keep testing
Other countries, including the UK, virtually all of Europe and countless other countries had previously dropped access rules to Covid testing. America is one of the last western countries to have now announced the easing.
Vaccinations still mandatory
However, it is still a requirement to be fully vaccinated to be admitted to the United States of America. There are currently no plans to drop this requirement in the future. The situation will be closely monitored.
Our experience in America
Malou and I (Chris) from Wereldreizigers.nl have been traveling through the US for several months now. We started our journey at the beginning of March when in Europe was still busy with mouth caps, restrictions and other restrictive covid measures. At the time, covid tests were still mandatory for America before departure.
When we set foot on American soil to our tour of America To start, we actually only saw measures in New York City at the airport and in public transport.
Furthermore, we haven't heard anything from Covid in the country since then, except that you saw a free test location on the street here and there. Covid testing is still free in America to this day, but we don't really feel it is being used any more. It's almost as if covid doesn't exist here, except in the public transport of the big cities.
The ultimate tour of North America
This article is part of a large one-year tour the United States en Canada in 2022, with a Dutch 4×4 camper that we shipped ourselves… It is a bucket list worthy and a once in a lifetime experience that will never be forgotten.
We wrote almost 100 articles about this ultimate tour. Below is a handy overview in 5 expandable categories.
2. Highlights & Itineraries
3. Cities & places of interest (AZ)
- Tour America | Amelia City
- Tour America | Amelia Island
- Tour America | Annapolis
- Tour America | Ice Lake Trail
- Tour America | Kennedy Space Centre
- Tour America | KeyWest
- Tour America | Miami
- Tour America | New York City
- Tour America | Ouray
- Tour America | Salt Lake City
- Tour America | Savannah
- Tour America | Seattle
- Tour America | Silverton
- Tour America | St Augustine
- Tour America | Starbase SpaceX complex in Texas
- Tour America | Washington DC
- Tour America | Wynwood
4. National Parks & Monuments (AZ)
- Tour America | All National Parks (list)
- Tour America | Black Canyon of the Gunnison
- Tour America | Death Valley
- Tour America | Dinosaur
- Tour America | Everglades
- Tour America | Glacier
- Tour America | Grand Canyon (helicopter tour)
- Tour America | Grand Teton
- Tour America | Great Sand Dunes
- Tour America | Mesa Verde
- Tour America | Rock Mountain
- Tour America | Yellowstone
- Tour America | Yosemite
5. Plan your vacation to America here
- Itineraries compare | TUI, Americaplus, sawadee en Djoser.
- Motorhome rental companies compare | WorldWideCampers.com
- Fly & drives compare | Americaplus.
- Cruises and city trips compare | Travel deal.
- Flight tickets compare | Skyscanner, TUI, KLM. as KAYAK.
- Rental cars compare | Sunnycars, Alamo en rental cars.
- Tours and Activities compare | GetYourGuide.
- Campsites reservation| RECREATION.gov
- Hotels & Resorts reservation | Booking.com.
- SIM cards order | USAsim en International sim.
- Parking at airport | Parkos, Central parking of park care.
- travel items (suitcases, world plugs, etc.) | Bol.com.
Want to read more about our worldly journey through America? Then read the blogs below!
- Roadtrip USA (1) | New York City Travel Guide
- Roadtrip USA (2) | Annapolis
- Roadtrip USA (3) | Washington DC Travel Guide
- Roadtrip USA (4) | Baltimore (pick up the RV)
- Roadtrip USA (5) | Savannah
- Roadtrip USA (6) | Barrington & Blythe Island Country Park, Georgia
- Roadtrip USA (7) | With the 4×4 camper on the beach, Amelia Island
- Roadtrip USA (8) | Amelia City
- Roadtrip USA (9) | Why Florida is Great
- Roadtrip US (10) | St Augustine
- Roadtrip USA (11) | Danger to alligators and bears
- Roadtrip USA (12) | Florida Off Road
- Roadtrip USA (13) | Kennedy Space Centre
- Roadtrip USA (14) | Street Art at Wynwood, Miami
- Roadtrip USA (15) | Everglade National Park
- Roadtrip USA (16) | Shootings, Trump crazies and political unrest
- Roadtrip USA (17) | The Florida Keys | Dolphin watching and island hopping
- Roadtrip USA (18) | Miami Travel Guide
Ready to take the plunge? Book a trip!
Now that the covid tests for America are dropped, there's no reason not to go! Are you ready to take the plunge and book a trip to or through this amazing country? Then take a look at the tour and fly&drive offer from the best America specialists in the Netherlands below.
- Americaplus.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Sawadee.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Traveldeal.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Pricefree.nl – Click here for all offers.
- USAsim.nl (sim card, handy) – Click here for all offers.
- Djoser.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Travelworld.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Rickshawtravel.nl – Click here for all offers.
Do you prefer to book everything yourself? Then that is also possible. Below is a selection of the best airline ticket providers.
- KLM.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Kayak.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Skyscanner.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Transavia.nl – Click here for all offers.
- TIX.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Qatar Airways.nl – Click here for all offers.
Rent a car
- Sunnycars.nl (Dutch, all-inclusive) – Click here for all offers.
- Snappcar.nl (low budget) – Click here for all offers.
- Rentcars.com (wide range) – Click here for all offers.
- Alamo.com (large selection) – Click here for all offers.
Parking at the airport
- Parkcare.nl – Click here for all offers
- Parkos.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Centralparking.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Centralparking.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Shuttleparkerenschiphol.nl – Click here for all offers.
- iParkingSchiphol.eu – Click here for all offers.
I have a question. Is it true that you really only have to show a vaccination certificate to travel to the US? Furthermore, they do nothing in terms of corona checks? I want to make sure I'm fully prepared 🙂
That depends on your airline. Most American Airlines have already abolished the mask requirement some time ago.
We are leaving for America next week! Are face masks still mandatory everywhere?