TRAVEL NEWS – 10 June 2022: The US government has just issued a official press release announced that it will stop testing obligations for travelers visiting the country on June 12 (the day after tomorrow). From Sunday evening Dutch time it is no longer necessary to take a covid test before traveling to America.
Table of contents
The news in brief
The Biden administration will drop Covid-12 tests for inbound air travelers from abroad on Sunday, June 19, ending one of the longest-running travel restrictions of the pandemic.
- Travelers had to show proof of a negative test a day before flying to the US. This will expire.
- The travel industry had repeatedly urged the government administration to drop the test requirement.
- The change will take effect on Sunday at 12:01 a.m. ET (18:01 p.m. Dutch time).
Covid testing has long been mandatory in America
The rule was introduced by the Trump administration in early 2021. It was later tightened by the Biden administration. The tightening required incoming travelers, including US citizens, to show proof of a negative Covid test a day before boarding flights to the US. Travelers entering the US at land border crossings were all that time exempt.
America one of the last to keep testing
Other countries, including the UK, virtually all of Europe and countless other countries had previously dropped access rules to Covid testing. America is one of the last western countries to have now announced the easing.
Vaccinations still mandatory
However, it is still a requirement to be fully vaccinated to be admitted to the United States of America. There are currently no plans to drop this requirement in the future. The situation will be closely monitored.
Our experience in America
Malou and I (Chris) from Wereldreizigers.nl have been traveling through the US for several months now. We started our journey at the beginning of March when in Europe was still busy with mouth caps, restrictions and other restrictive covid measures. At the time, covid tests were still mandatory for America before departure.
Furthermore, we haven't heard anything from Covid in the country since then, except that you saw a free test location on the street here and there. Covid testing is still free in America to this day, but we don't really feel it is being used any more. It's almost as if covid doesn't exist here, except in the public transport of the big cities.
Plan your vacation to America here
- Tour you compare TUI, Americaplus, sawadee en Djoser.
- Fly & drives you compare Americaplus en Travelworld.
- Cruises and city trips for America you book with Travel deal.
- Flight tickets for America you book with TUI, KLM en Skyscanner.
- Rental cars you compare Sunnycars, Alamo en rental cars.
- Tours and Activities in America you book via GetYourGuide.
- Camping sites in National Parks you book on RECREATION.gov
- Hotels & Resorts in America you book with Booking.com.
- SIM cards you compare USAsim en Internationalsim.
- Parking at the airport you can arrange via Parkos, Central parking of park care.
Our journey through the United States and Canada
This article is part of a major one-year journey that we (Chris and Malou van Wereldreizigers.nl), are currently making by the United States en Canada† We started in New York City and are through Washington DC en Baltimore (where we shipped our RV), first traveled south (Florida) and then made a full round of the country.
Organizing this trip took a lot of time and energy. So we had to US B1/B2 visa of one year and we spent weeks working on it renovating our 4×4 camper† Then we got to work on the RV to America to ship and in hindsight it turned out to be a Dutch vehicle insurance in America to be one of the biggest challenges.
When that was all over, we could finally focus on the anticipation: figuring out and planning all the beautiful places we want to visit. I built the ultimate roadtrip route through America and Canada of roughly 50.000 kilometers in Google maps and we are now making our dream come true! The interactive map can be viewed below.
More blogs from our trip through America and Canada
- Roadtrip USA (1) | New York City Tips and Travel Guide
- Roadtrip USA (2) | Tips for Annapolis
- Roadtrip USA (3) | Washington DC Tips and Travel Guide
- Roadtrip USA (4) | Tips for Baltimore (picking up the motorhome)
- Roadtrip USA (5) | Tips for Savannah
- Roadtrip USA (6) | Tips for Barrington & Blythe Island Country park, Georgia
- Roadtrip USA (7) | Tips and 4×4 camper on the beach in Amelia Island
- Roadtrip USA (8) | Tips for Amelia City
- Roadtrip USA (9) | Tips and why Florida is great
- Roadtrip USA (10) | Tips for St. Augustine
- Roadtrip USA (11) | Tips and danger for alligators and bears
- Roadtrip USA (12) | Florida Off Road Tips
- Roadtrip USA (13) | Tips for Kennedy Space Center
- Roadtrip USA (14) | Tips for Street Art in Wynwood, Miami
- Roadtrip USA (15) | Tips for Everglades National Park
- Roadtrip USA (16) | Shootings, Trump crazies and political unrest
- Roadtrip USA (17) | Tips for The Florida Keys | Dolphin watching and island hopping
- Roadtrip USA (18) | Tips and travel guide Miami
- Roadtrip USA (19) | Tips and Highlights East Coast USA – New York to Key West
- Roadtrip USA (20) | Reality check: What long-term travel does to you mentally
- Roadtrip USA (21) | Our New Itinerary and Itinerary for America: An Update
- Roadtrip USA (22) | Tips for Great Sand Dunes National Park
- Roadtrip USA (23) | Tips for Mesa Verde National Park
- Roadtrip USA (24) | 100 days of living and working in a motorhome (our experience)
- Roadtrip USA (25) | Our Mitsubishi L200 camper has overheating problems
- Roadtrip USA (26) | Tips for the Million Dollar Highway
- Roadtrip USA (27) | Tips for Silverton, Colorado
- Roadtrip USA (28) | Tips for Ice Lakes Trail: Beautiful Lakes and Waterfalls
- Roadtrip USA (29) | Tips for Ouray, the Switzerland of Colorado
- Roadtrip USA (30) | Tips for Black Canyon of the Gunnison
- Roadtrip USA (31) | Landing in a Mitsubishi L200 4×4 camper
- Roadtrip USA (32) | Tips for Rocky Mountain National Park
- Roadtrip USA (33) | Tips for Dinosaur National Monument
- Roadtrip USA (34) | Tips for Salt Lake City and Bonneville Salt Flats
- Roadtrip USA (35) | Tips for Grand Teton National Park
- Roadtrip USA (36) | Tips for Yellowstone National Park
- Roadtrip USA (37) | Travel setbacks – Inflation, weak euro and car problems
Want to read more about our worldly journey through America? Then read the blogs below!
- Roadtrip USA (1) | New York City Travel Guide
- Roadtrip USA (2) | Annapolis
- Roadtrip USA (3) | Washington DC Travel Guide
- Roadtrip USA (4) | Baltimore (pick up the RV)
- Roadtrip USA (5) | Savannah
- Roadtrip USA (6) | Barrington & Blythe Island Country Park, Georgia
- Roadtrip USA (7) | With the 4×4 camper on the beach, Amelia Island
- Roadtrip USA (8) | Amelia City
- Roadtrip USA (9) | Why Florida is Great
- Roadtrip USA (10) | St. Augustine
- Roadtrip USA (11) | Danger to alligators and bears
- Roadtrip USA (12) | Florida Off Road
- Roadtrip USA (13) | Kennedy Space Center
- Roadtrip USA (14) | Street Art in Wynwood, Miami
- Roadtrip USA (15) | Everglades National Park
- Roadtrip USA (16) | Shootings, Trump crazies and political unrest
- Roadtrip USA (17) | The Florida Keys | Dolphin watching and island hopping
- Roadtrip USA (18) | Miami Travel Guide
Ready to take the plunge? Book a trip!
Now that the covid tests for America are dropped, there's no reason not to go! Are you ready to take the plunge and book a trip to or through this amazing country? Then take a look at the tour and fly&drive offer from the best America specialists in the Netherlands below.
- Americaplus.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Sawadee.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Traveldeal.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Pricefree.nl – Click here for all offers.
- USAsim.nl (sim card, handy) – Click here for all offers.
- Djoser.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Travelworld.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Rickshawtravel.nl – Click here for all offers.
Do you prefer to book everything yourself? Then that is also possible. Below is a selection of the best airline ticket providers.
- KLM.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Kayak.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Skyscanner.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Transavia.nl – Click here for all offers.
- TIX.nl – Click here for all offers.
- Qatar Airways.nl – Click here for all offers.
Rent a car
- Sunnycars.nl (Dutch, all-inclusive) – Click here for all offers.
- Snappcar.nl (low budget) – Click here for all offers.
- Rentcars.com (wide range) – Click here for all offers.
- Alamo.com (large selection) – Click here for all offers.