When I look back at what we have already seen and done, I really have to shake myself up again. What are we making again fantastic trip, this time by America! It has become so normal for us to travel a lot and for a long time, but of course it is anything but... It makes me realize once again that traveling for a long time and a lot does something to you mentally. Time for a reality check: what does long-term traveling do to your mental health?
Table of contents
The ultimate tour of North America
This article is part of a large one-year tour the United States en Canada in 2022, with a Dutch 4×4 camper that we shipped ourselves… It is a bucket list worthy and a once in a lifetime experience that will never be forgotten.
We wrote almost 100 articles about this ultimate tour. Below is a handy overview in 5 expandable categories.
2. Highlights & Itineraries
3. Cities & places of interest (AZ)
- Tour America | Amelia City
- Tour America | Amelia Island
- Tour America | Annapolis
- Tour America | Ice Lake Trail
- Tour America | Kennedy Space Centre
- Tour America | KeyWest
- Tour America | Miami
- Tour America | New York City
- Tour America | Ouray
- Tour America | Salt Lake City
- Tour America | Savannah
- Tour America | Seattle
- Tour America | Silverton
- Tour America | St Augustine
- Tour America | Washington DC
- Tour America | Wynwood
4. National Parks & Monuments (AZ)
- Tour America | All National Parks (list)
- Tour America | Black Canyon of the Gunnison
- Tour America | Death Valley
- Tour America | Dinosaur
- Tour America | Everglades
- Tour America | Glacier
- Tour America | Grand Teton
- Tour America | Great Sand Dunes
- Tour America | Mesa Verde
- Tour America | Rock Mountain
- Tour America | Yellowstone
- Tour America | Yosemite
5. Plan your vacation to America here
- Itineraries compare | TUI, Americaplus, sawadee en Djoser.
- Motorhome rental companies compare | WorldWideCampers.com
- Fly & drives compare | Americaplus.
- Cruises and city trips compare | Travel deal.
- Flight tickets compare | Skyscanner, TUI, KLM. as KAYAK.
- Rental cars compare | Sunnycars, Alamo en rental cars.
- Tours and Activities compare | GetYourGuide.
- Camping sites reservation| RECREATION.gov
- Hotels & Resorts reservation | Booking.com.
- SIM cards order | USAsim en International sim.
- Parking at airport | Parkos, Central parking of park care.
- travel items (suitcases, world plugs, etc.) | Bol.com.
We are lucky
Also read: US East Coast Highlights – New York to Key West | Roadtrip USA (19)
We regularly (video) call home to keep family and friends informed and it's the little things that make you realize that we really are two lucky bastards. I mean…
- We let the sun determine our rhythm of life.
- We haven't set an alarm for three months.
- All this time we live in roughly 12 square meters.
- We see nature as our backyard.
- We still don't argue.
- We spot the sweetest and beautiful animals.
- We wake up in the most beautiful places?
- We don't have to travel to work anymore?
- We do what we feel like every day ♂️
- We still work as digital nomads but decide for yourself how and when?
- We take a lot of afternoon naps?
- We hardly watch or read news anymore?
- We've left group apps for even more peace of mind?
- We have crossed off several bucket list wishes
- We make intensely beautiful walks?
- We meet great new people and make new friends ?
- We need to generate solar energy for our power station, shopping and filter water / arrange… Actually it is… ?♀️
The EcoFlow Delta MAX is a portable Lithium-ion power station with a capacity of no less than 2016wh. This device makes inverters and charge controllers for solar panels superfluous.
The capacity is expandable and with 4 x 2400W (4600W peak) AC outputs, numerous 12v and USB connections, it is suitable for many applications both indoors and outdoors.
Super fast charging via 230v. Combined charging via 230v, 12v or solar panels is possible. Very popular with motorhome and vanlife enthusiasts.
We have installed this device in our motorhome and it's really fantastic to have so much power at your disposal† We grill, cook, cool almost everything electrically now.
- Large capacity
- Super fast charging
- 100w (!) USB-C connections
- 2400W with 4600W peak power
- Charging via 230v, 12v or solar panels
- Weighs 23 kilos
Difficult to comprehend for stay at home
For most people in the Netherlands ?? it's just hard to comprehend what it's like to live like that. And that makes sense.
Because we used to be busy setting alarm clocks, keeping full agendas, working, gardening, cleaning, shopping, keeping appointments, cooking, exercising, answering 100ths of apps every day and so on. And to think we don't even have kids? for which you also have to do 100-thousand things?
Also read: Staying calm and positive during your World Trip | 6 Tips
It's just hard to imagine what it's like to wake up just before the sun comes up, to boil water to make a cup of coffee and just stare aimlessly in front of you. While the first rays of the sun shine through the trees or shine over a mirror-smooth lake. In all silence. It has become normal for us.
Get out of that rat race
And that is such a huge contrast with the Netherlands. Life in the Netherlands is just another rat race that never ends. After a day of running you prefer to plop on the couch to exhausted Netflix? turn on. That feels kind of normal until you step out of it completely ➡️ ... Then you look back and then you suddenly think: How in God's name have I kept up all this time? And why do we do that to ourselves?
I really don't miss that busy life at all. What I do miss are friends and family – it's not for nothing that we call home every week.
Traveling makes you mentally stronger
It's a huge cliché to say that traveling changes you for the better mentally, as well as as a person, but it really does. Every time I come to a different place in the world, I take a piece of that experience back home and in my head. My doings have changed enormously in the past 15 years.
Whether it's about taking better care of the environment (learned in Asia), or being satisfied with what you have (learned in Africa), or whether you should especially be nicer to yourself (taking rest) and others (from what origin, skin color, religion or whatever). You learn the latter almost everywhere in the world.
What you also learn during a long journey is to mentally put insecurities away from you. To worry less about what's to come. Of course, anything can go wrong, but there's no point in worrying about it. We trust that we will find the solutions when needed.
Traveling does a lot more for you mentally than you think. You learn a lot about yourself, to deal with unfamiliar situations, but also to deal with others. Gaining new experiences. It's much more than just taking beautiful photos and sharing them on social media.
Take that from me!
Also read: 10 reasons why a trip around the world is good for your career and future
Plan your vacation to America here
- Itineraries : TUI, Americaplus, sawadee en Djoser.
- Motorhome rental companies : WorldWideCampers.com
- Fly & drives : Americaplus en Travelworld.
- Cruises and city trips for America you book with Travel deal.
- Flight tickets for America you book with TUI, KLM, KAYAK en Skyscanner.
- Rental cars : Sunnycars, Alamo en rental cars.
- Tours and Activities in America you book via GetYourGuide.
- Camping sites in National Parks you book on RECREATION.gov
- Hotels & Resorts in America you book with Booking.com.
- SIM cards : USAsim en International sim.
- Parking at the airport you can arrange via Parkos, park care of iParking.
- travel items (suitcases, bags, world plugs, etc. can be ordered at Bol.com.
Seen a mistake? Ask? Remark? Let us know in the comments!