The beautiful city of Miami in Florida has a lot to offer. We spent several weeks in our one year journey across America! The beautiful white beaches in and around Miami are just one attraction of the city. Miami is of course also known for the good weather and the beautiful people on the boulevard. Shopping enthusiasts will find themselves in a true Valhalla in Miami. From small-scale boutiques to complete design malls, you can shop here for days if you wish.
Done with the beach and shopping? Then there are up-and-coming neighborhoods like Wynwood to explore. Wynwood is fun to visit, to go out and of course to admire the beautiful Street Art. In fact, Malou and I liked the neighborhood so much that we went there a total of three times! In this article I will therefore tell you everything about this district and what you can see and do there.
Table of contents
The ultimate tour of North America
This article is part of a large one-year tour the United States en Canada in 2022, with a Dutch 4×4 camper that we shipped ourselves… It is a bucket list worthy and a once in a lifetime experience that will never be forgotten.
We wrote almost 100 articles about this ultimate tour. Below is a handy overview in 5 expandable categories.
2. Highlights & Itineraries
3. Cities & places of interest (AZ)
- Tour America | Amelia City
- Tour America | Amelia Island
- Tour America | Annapolis
- Tour America | Ice Lake Trail
- Tour America | Kennedy Space Centre
- Tour America | KeyWest
- Tour America | Miami
- Tour America | New York City
- Tour America | Ouray
- Tour America | Salt Lake City
- Tour America | Savannah
- Tour America | Seattle
- Tour America | Silverton
- Tour America | St Augustine
- Tour America | Washington DC
- Tour America | Wynwood
4. National Parks & Monuments (AZ)
- Tour America | All National Parks (list)
- Tour America | Black Canyon of the Gunnison
- Tour America | Death Valley
- Tour America | Dinosaur
- Tour America | Everglades
- Tour America | Glacier
- Tour America | Grand Teton
- Tour America | Great Sand Dunes
- Tour America | Mesa Verde
- Tour America | Rock Mountain
- Tour America | Yellowstone
- Tour America | Yosemite
5. Plan your vacation to America here
- Itineraries compare | TUI, Americaplus, sawadee en Djoser.
- Motorhome rental companies compare | WorldWideCampers.com
- Fly & drives compare | Americaplus.
- Cruises and city trips compare | Travel deal.
- Flight tickets compare | Skyscanner, TUI, KLM. as KAYAK.
- Rental cars compare | Sunnycars, Alamo en rental cars.
- Tours and Activities compare | GetYourGuide.
- Camping sites reservation| RECREATION.gov
- Hotels & Resorts reservation | Booking.com.
- SIM cards order | USAsim en International sim.
- Parking at airport | Parkos, Central parking of park care.
- travel items (suitcases, world plugs, etc.) | Bol.com.
About Wynwood, Miami
Wynwood was previously known in the 80s and 90s as a working-class neighborhood, which slowly slipped into a ghetto. The district therefore had a bad image for a long time. However, this has been changing rapidly over the past 10-15 years. Wynwood has become a hip part of town where young people like to hang out. Numerous beautiful outdoor Street Art creations can also be admired here. The whole neighborhood is an open air museum! You can continue shopping to your heart's content, because more and more big brands can be found in this hip part of Miami.
Wynwood Neighborhood Overview
In 2022 you can actually divide the Wynwood district into three parts. These are the old quarter. Then Street Art section and the shopping area† The shopping area is also seen as Midtown. To give you a better idea of the neighborhood and where you can or cannot go, I made a map in Google Maps (very provisional) with colored markers.
Orange = the old quarter
Yellow = the bustling Street Art area
Blue = The shopping area
Security in Wynwood
The hip Street Art center of Wynwood basically only covers a few blocks and streets. Here you can walk around both during the day and in the evening without any worries. You will encounter some lost types here and there. Our experience is that they leave you alone. Especially in the (yellow) Street Art part and the (blue) part where the shops are, you will also see a lot of police who have to guarantee safety.
A lot of people come here from outside. These are mostly tourists who are worth protecting, because they obviously bring money to the district. The police are just parked in certain streets all day long. In addition, they also drive around a lot, you see them constantly.
The Old Quarter
This part is still very rough. You will see homeless people in various places and people who live in dilapidated houses or tents. Both north and south of the Street Art part (orange on the map) you end up in the old quarter. It is also only a few blocks apart. When you wander around here you will notice soon enough that the streets are very different from each other and you can suddenly end up in a less pleasant street. So now is the time to turn around. I don't recommend just going for a walk here, especially when night falls. If you still want to see it, do this while driving a car, for example.
What to do and see in Wynwood
Street Art at Wynwood
I have already visited many Street Art neighborhoods in different countries, but Wynwood really takes the cake. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of works to admire here!
Tip:: in the Street Art part of Wynwood you can also immediately visit a popular attraction: the Wynwood Walls (click† The name says it all. They are typical Wynwood-style walls that feature beautiful Street Art works of art by artists from the neighborhood. Entrance costs 10 dollars pp
If you don't feel like paying money to admire Street Art in Wynwood, don't worry! The entire neighborhood is dotted with beautiful works of art. You just have to walk around the neighborhood to see amazing, colorful works of art. Below are just a few of the countless works that I came across while walking.
If you would like to admire more art, you can also visit The Margulies Collection at the WAREhOUSE, in the western part of Wynwood.
Tip:: curious what I shoot with? Then see the information below about the Fuji X-T4. I can also recommend everyone to read the blog about the best world travel cameras.
The Fujifilm X-T4 with 16-80 is the ultimate all-round world travel camera† This camera has been declared several times by both the consumer association and Tweakers.net the best system camera you can buy.
Even on the automatic mode you suddenly feel like a professional photographer! You can effortlessly shoot the most beautiful photos, and thanks to the versatile zoom range of the 16-80 lens, you can easily get closer to the action anywhere in the world.
- The best tested camera
- Fantastic photos
- 4k video at 60 fps
- IBIS image stabilization
- 5 year warranty
- Get used to it, many options!
Nightlife in Wynwood
In addition to its beautiful, colorful buildings, Wynwood is also known for its vibrant day and nightlife. During the day it is often cozy in the various open-air bars and squares where there is a lot of live music, such as below Oasis Wynwood† Entry is free by the way, as it is an open square with several adjacent bars and restaurants.
Tip:: for whom of specialty beer? Loves: Wynwood also has its own mini-brewery. The Wynwood Brewing Company is the place where they serve the craziest and tastiest IPAs.
Food in Wynwood
Of course you can also eat well in Wynwood. The four most popular (and top rated!) restaurants are:
- Mister O1 Extraordinary Pizza, Italian – 4,9 stars ($$)
- Bakan, Mexican – 4,5 stars ($$)
- Zone Grill, Venezuelan – 4,7 stars ($$)
- KYU, Asian – 4,6 stars ($$$)
We chose to have dinner with the family at Mister O1 Extraordinary Pizza† This was mainly because with such a bizarrely high review score it really couldn't go wrong. This must be good…
And it was! Every pizza we got was almost perfect with a crispy crust and good toppings that clearly hadn't been cut.. Highly recommended.
Shopping in Wynwood
In Wynwood you basically have two places that will make a shopper's heart beat faster. The first part is the Midtown area (where the high-rises and malls can be found). Here you will mainly see the well-known and somewhat more expensive brands with beautiful shops.
In the Street Art part of the district you have many boutiques with unique clothing, objects and works of art. Even the shops here are often a work of art. See, for example, the shipping containers below that have been converted into great mini-shops.
The rest of Wynwood's shopping areas look something like the image below. The boutiques alternate with Smoke Shops (yes, they smoke a lot here) and Tattoo & Piecing shops. Of course, there is also no shortage of various bars and restaurants.
Anyone visiting Miami should set aside at least one day for the Wynwood neighborhood. Nowhere in the world have we seen so many beautiful works of art in such a small area. It is therefore a unique part of the city that you cannot miss. The entire district is a vibrant and colorful open-air museum. At the same time, it is also a place where, if you wish, you can go all out in one of the many bars and nightclubs.
Plan your vacation to America here
- Itineraries : TUI, Americaplus, sawadee en Djoser.
- Motorhome rental companies : WorldWideCampers.com
- Fly & drives : Americaplus en Travelworld.
- Cruises and city trips for America you book with Travel deal.
- Flight tickets for America you book with TUI, KLM, KAYAK en Skyscanner.
- Rental cars : Sunnycars, Alamo en rental cars.
- Tours and Activities in America you book via GetYourGuide.
- Camping sites in National Parks you book on RECREATION.gov
- Hotels & Resorts in America you book with Booking.com.
- SIM cards : USAsim en International sim.
- Parking at the airport you can arrange via Parkos, park care of iParking.
- travel items (suitcases, bags, world plugs, etc. can be ordered at Bol.com.